Re: Default ordering option - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Default ordering option
Date
List pgsql-general
On 7/25/19 12:43 AM, Cyril Champier wrote:
> *Adrian*:
>
>     If order is not an issue in the production code why test for it in the
>     test code?
>

> In many cases, it would not be a problem in tests if we had an unordered
> array comparison helper.
> But in other cases, it is a production issue.
> In ruby ActiveRecord for exemple, you can do `Patient.find_by(last_name:
> 'champier')`,
> which translates to `SELECT  "patients".* FROM "patients" WHERE
> "patients"."last_name" = 'champier' LIMIT 1`.
> If last_name is not unique, the returned record will be random.

Are you really looking for a pseudo-random name?

If so would not(warning not a Ruby developer, so below is tentative):

Patient.where(["last_name = :last_name", {last_name:
"champier"}]).order('RANDOM()').first

work better?

If not why not use something that returns all possible matches?

> So yes, everything as to be randomized, because the sources are
> multiples and the consequences can vary to a dramatic production bug, a
> failed CI 1% of the time, or to a useless test assertion.

One way I can think of doing this is write a script that walks through
your tables in the test db and does an UPDATE across the rows. It is
going to add time to your tests, but then I believe that is going to be
the case for anything you do. Or you could look at something I have
never tried, fuzzy testing. As a starting point:

https://www.guru99.com/fuzz-testing.html

Maybe other folks have suggestions on tools you could use for fuzzy
testing.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com