Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade 11 to 12 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade 11 to 12
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Fri, 2021-01-08 at 08:20 +0000, pgdba pgdba wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>  I want to upgrade the postgresql cluster. The structure I use is streaming replication method on 2 nodes(one master,
oneslave). The version I want to upgrade is 11 to 12.

>  but I am getting the following error during the upgrade. Can you support me? Thanks.
>
> -bash-4.2$ /usr/pgsql-12/bin/pg_upgrade   --old-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/11/data   --new-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/12/data
 --old-bindir=/usr/pgsql-11/bin   --new-bindir=/usr/pgsql-12/bin   --check

> Performing Consistency Checks on Old Live Server
> Checking cluster versions                                   ok
> Checking database user is the install user                  ok
> Checking database connection settings                       ok
> Checking for prepared transactions                          ok
> Checking for reg* data types in user tables                 ok
> Checking for contrib/isn with bigint-passing mismatch       ok
> Checking for tables WITH OIDS                               ok
> Checking for invalid "sql_identifier" user columns          ok
> Checking for presence of required libraries                 ok
> Checking database user is the install user                  ok
> Checking for prepared transactions                          ok
> Checking for new cluster tablespace directories             ok
> Error;
> -bash-4.2$ /usr/pgsql-12/bin/pg_upgrade   --old-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/11/data   --new-datadir=/var/lib/pgsql/12/data
 --old-bindir=/usr/pgsql-11/bin   --new-bindir=/usr/pgsql-12/bin

> Performing Consistency Checks
> Checking cluster versions                                   ok
>
> The source cluster was shut down while in recovery mode.  To upgrade, use "rsync" as documented or shut it down as a
primary.
> Failure, exiting

You cannot "pg_upgrade" the standby server.

Look at step 10 in the documentation at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgupgrade.html

Yours,
Laurenz Albe