Re: how postgresql passes the parameter to the function. syntax error near or at "$1". - Mailing list pgsql-general

From leaf_yxj
Subject Re: how postgresql passes the parameter to the function. syntax error near or at "$1".
Date
List pgsql-general
Pavel,

Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Grace

At 2012-03-29 00:27:12,"Pavel Stehule [via PostgreSQL]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello

parameter - $n cannot be used on table name or column name position.
Some statements - DROP, VACUUM, ANALYZE doesn't support parameters
ever.

You have to use dynamic SQL in these cases.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo(tablename text, value text)
RETURNS void AS $$
BEGIN
  EXECUTE 'insert into ' || quote_ident(tablename) || ' VALUES($1)' USING value;
END;
$$ LANGUAGE plpgsql

Regards

Pavel Stehule