Re: Connection idle broken - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Douglas McNaught
Subject Re: Connection idle broken
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/27/07, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 12:33 PM, Douglas McNaught <doug@mcnaught.org> wrote:

> > Get a better router then. Something between your clients and the
> > database server is timing out those connections, and it's most likely
> > that box--NAT connections are timed out fairly aggressively by default
> > on consumer routers (you didn't say whether you were using NAT or not,
> > but it may be turned on by default).  Relying on anything labeled
> > "Linksys" for production work is a terrible idea.
>
> Actually, if you use the linux based ones, or download dd-wrt or
> openwrt and install that, the linksys routers are quite stable,
> reliable, and performant.

I'm sure they are.  Custom software helps a lot.  :)

That said, my definition of "production" doesn't include hardware
that's built as cheaply as possible for the consumer market.  Others
may differ, and the OPs need may very well be satisfied by a custom
software load on a cheap consumer router.