GiST index implementation - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Elena Camossi
Subject GiST index implementation
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi list,

what is the default implementation for GiST index? B-Tree or R-Tree?
That is, if i execute the following SQL command:

     CREATE index ON table USING Gist (column)

what is the type of the index that is actually built?

If I specify R-Tree instead, with:

     CREATE index ON table USING Rtree (column)

I got this message:

     NOTICE:  substituting access method "gist" for obsolete method "rtree"

and when I look at the SQL code that created the index in pgAdmin, I found again

    CREATE index ON table USING Gist (column).

How can I specify in SQL one of the two implementations provided (e.g. R-Tree)?

Thank you for helping.

Regards,
-Elena