design partioning scheme for selecting from latest partition - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Niels Jespersen
Subject design partioning scheme for selecting from latest partition
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello

I have a table partitioned like this

drop table if exists s cascade;
create table s
(
    version int not null,
    a       int,
    b       int
) partition by list (version);

-- Add tens of partitions
-- Load millions of rows in each partition
-- Then I want to be able to do this wothout scanning all partitions for the highest version number.

select s.* from s where s.version = (select max(version) from s);

I could add an index on the version column. But the only use would be to the newest partition, so that seems a bit like
overkill,indexing 100 of milliomns of rows.

Is there another way to do this in a cheaper way.

For now I have created a materialized view based on the select above, thus only scanning for max partition only once.

Niels Jespersen