Re: Moving to git - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Mike Fowler
Subject Re: Moving to git
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
> Dave Cramer <pg 'at' fastcrypt.com> writes:
>
>> While moving to git has been in the back of my mind the work
>> involved to maintain the history from CVS is not trivial.
>
> Can you elaborate a little bit? Maybe some others could help.
>
> Personally I used git-cvsimport to move a few CVS repos of mine
> to git and I was surprised how smooth it was. And it of course
> automatically rebuilds multi files commits out of CVS history
> automatically. Yet, I never used CVS as a pro and didn't
> branch[1] so I may have had simpler situations than JDBC source.

Having watched the traffic on the Hackers mailing list during their
migration to Git from CVS it seemed a difficult and lengthy process which
included one aborted attemt. From memory the difficulties faced was
preserving history correctly becuase of the introduction of "ghost"
commits by the tool. Some threads of interest include:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg00217.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01117.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01077.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-08/msg01247.php