Re: User action accounting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua Berry
Subject Re: User action accounting
Date
List pgsql-general

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Andy Colson <andy@squeakycode.net> wrote:
When your app/users connect to the db, do they connect as the same user, or each with a different username?

The application instances each connect to the database with the same username. The application currently uses an ODBC connection which has hard coded username values. If each user has their own workstation, this would be easy, but I want to be able to specify the username when the application begins. I'm not worried about the security aspect; I just want to present users with an easy way to specify who they are to aid in tracking.

Do you have your own "users" table?

There is a "users" table currently used for another purpose, but it could be reused/extended.

If I go the route of keeping the same role for each application instance, it would be great if I could avoid having to pass the username into each query and instead have a per-session or per-connection variable that the trigger could access. Sounds easy, but I've never tried it before and things not usually as easy as they seem.

Regards,

-Joshua