Re: genomic locus - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: genomic locus
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 12/15/2017 05:50 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:

>> I have seen a lot of bit rot in other extensions (never contributed) that I
>> have not maintained since 2009 and I now I am unable to fix some of them, so
>> I wonder how much of old knowledge is still applicable. In other words, is
>> what I see in new code just a change of macros or the change of principles?
> APIs in Postgres are usually stable. You should be able to update your
> own extensions. If you want to discuss about a couple of things in
> particular, don't hesitate!

I keep most of the out-of-tree extensions I maintain green by building
and testing them in a buildfarm member. That way I become aware pretty
quickly if any API change has broken them, as happened just the other
day in fact. To do this requires writing a small perl paqckage. There
are three examples in the buildfarm client sources at
https://github.com/PGBuildFarm/client-code/tree/master/PGBuild/Modules
and one of these is included in the buildfarm client releases.

cheers

andrew