Re: Where is the command line? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Neil Anderson
Subject Re: Where is the command line?
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 2016-03-30 6:05 PM, madler@sfec.us wrote:
> I'm trying to learn postgreSQL.  I installed 9.3.1. on a PC running
> Windows 8.  I needed that version to work with some DHI software.  It
> installed successfully.  I now have a number of postgreSQL associated
> items in my list of apps.  They are:
> Application Stack Builder
> installation notes
> pgadmin documentation
> pgadmin III
> postgreSQL documentation
> postgreSQL release notes
> Reload Configuration
> SQL Shell (psql)
>
> That's The problem is that it doesn’t tell me where to iuse that
> command.  I have no program called “postgreSQL on my computer despite
> successfully installing the software. The only program that has a
> command prompt is the SQL shell one, and that doesn’t seem to be right,
> because none of the things the tutorials say comes next actually happens.
>
> I used the pgadmin III to create a new database and new user in order to
> log into the DHI software.  That's as far as I know what to do with the
> DHI software.  I'm trying to learn what else to do with the postgreSQL,
> so I've looked up a bunch of tutorials.  They all start out
>
> To create a new database, in this example named mydb, use the following
> command:
> $ createdb mydb
>
> That's The problem is that it doesn’t tell me where to use that
> command.  I have no program called “postgreSQL” on my computer despite
> successfully installing the software. The only program that has a
> command prompt is the SQL shell one, and that doesn’t seem to be right,
> because none of the things the tutorials say comes next actually happens.

Hi Michael,

I just had a look in my Windows installation of v9.5 and it appears that
the programs you are looking for are located in the \bin directory.
Something like `C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.5\bin`. So if you are
familiar with Windows you can navigate to that directory via the command
prompt, or from Windows Explorer you can find the directory and just
type 'cmd' in the explorer bar to open a command prompt there.

createdb, initdb, createuser etc. are all in the bin directory and
documented here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/reference-client.html

It seems that they are programs that wrap particularly useful SQL
commands and execute them on your behalf.

Neil