RE: GSOC 2018 Project - A New Sorting Routine - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kefan Yang
Subject RE: GSOC 2018 Project - A New Sorting Routine
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Hey Tomas!

I am trying to reproduce the results on my machine. Could you please share the script to generate .ods files?

Regards,

Kefan

From: Tomas Vondra
Sent: July 18, 2018 2:05 AM
To: Andrey Borodin
Cc: Peter Geoghegan; Kefan Yang; PostgreSQL Hackers
Subject: Re: GSOC 2018 Project - A New Sorting Routine

On 07/18/2018 07:06 AM, Andrey Borodin wrote:

> Hi, Tomas!

>> 15 июля 2018 г., в 1:20, Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com

>> <mailto:tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com>> написал(а):

>> So I doubt it's this, but I've tweaked the scripts to also set this GUC

>> and restarted the tests on both machines. Let's see what that does.

> Do you observe any different results?

It did change the CREATE INDEX results, depending on the scale. The full

data is available at [1] and [2], attached is a spreadsheet summary from

the Xeon box.

For the largest scale (1M rows) the regressions for CREATE INDEX queries

mostly disappeared. For 10k rows it still affects CREATE INDEX with a

text column, and the 100k case behaves just like before (so significant

regressions for CREATE INDEX).

I don't have time to investigate this further at the moment, but I'm

still of the opinion that there's little to gain by replacing our

current sort algorithm with this.

[1] https://bitbucket.org/tvondra/sort-intro-sort-xeon/src/master/

[2] https://bitbucket.org/tvondra/sort-intro-sort-i5/src/master/

regards