Re: Postgres for mobile website? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brian Modra
Subject Re: Postgres for mobile website?
Date
List pgsql-general
2009/11/4 Andre Lopes <lopes80andre@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I have a website using Postgres database. Now I need to develop a mobile
> website, what should I do?

You need some middleware.
As it happens, my open source project "The Karoo Project" includes
some middleware for developing websites using postgresql as the
database, so you could use that. I had a look around for tools for
such middleware and seemed to find only PHP, but I'd be interested to
know if anyoe can enlighten me (in effect to tell me if my project is
filling a much needed gap or not.)

> Use the Postgres database or copy the information of the database to a
> SQLite database? Postgres isn't heavy to a mobile website?

The website being heavy or light depends on the way you design it.
As long as your output is simple xhtml, or wap, or both (determined by
the mobile phone's html request headers), then it will be "light" from
the phone's perspective.

> The website is update 2 times month. I can easly sincronize the databases
> Postgres to SQLite. What do you think about this solution?

It depends a lot on the type of application and the type of data.

--
Brian Modra   Land line: +27 23 5411 462
Mobile: +27 79 69 77 082