Re: programmatic way to fetch latest release for a given major.minor version - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Hammond
Subject Re: programmatic way to fetch latest release for a given major.minor version
Date
Re: programmatic way to fetch latest release for a given major.minor version  (Listmail <lists@peufeu.com>)
Re: programmatic way to fetch latest release for a given major.minor version  (Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-general
On 4/9/07, CAJ CAJ <pguser@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 Apr 2007 14:47:20 -0700, Andrew Hammond
> <andrew.george.hammond@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm writing a script that wants to know the latest release for a given
> > major.minor version. Is there some better way than parsing
> > http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/ or trying to
> connect to ftp
> > (which is invariably timing out on me today. Is that box getting
> > hammered or something?) and doing the parsing that? Both approaches
> > feel quite awkward to me.
>
> Use wget to download via  HTTP (added recently).  Probably wise to add a
> couple mirrors in your script.

I'm not asking how to download stuff. I'm asking how to figure out the
current release number for a given major.minor. I thought that was
clear in my original post, but I guess not. For example, how do I
determine (programmatically) the lastest version of 8.1.

I'm also interested in a clever way to select one of the "close"
mirrors at random for downloading via http. However I had planned to
hold that question until I'd solved the first issue.

Andrew