Re: Undocumented array_val[generate_series(...)] functionality? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rob Sargent
Subject Re: Undocumented array_val[generate_series(...)] functionality?
Date
List pgsql-general

On Jul 11, 2021, at 5:52 PM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

A post over in Reddit had an expression form I've never seen before:

select (array[1,2,3,4]::integer[])[generate_series(1, 3)];
===
1
2
3

Looking at subscripting in the SQL syntax this example doesn't seem to be documented.

Is it documented somewhere else, and, regardless, shouldn't it be documented in the linked location?

I get this is basically a variant of the slice syntax [n:m], and it is working as expected, but nothing indicates I can put an SRF inside the brackets.

David J.
Is that expression saying something like select the first second third element from array 1,2,3,4?