Re: Should we make scary sounding, but actually routine, errors lessscary? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: Should we make scary sounding, but actually routine, errors lessscary?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/05/19 18:54, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's a few errors that we issue that are, often, much less bad than
> they sound. The most common cases I immediately can recall are:
>

> 1) Mentioning crash, once for each backend, when shutting down
> immediately. Currently the log output for that, with just two sessions
> connected, is the following:

While on the topic ... this may be more a property of particular
packagings of the server, to run under systemd etc., but often there
is a process during startup trying periodically to open a connection
to the server to confirm that it has successfully started, and the
result is a dozen or so log messages that say "FATAL: the server is
starting" ... which is amusing once you get what it's doing, but a bit
disconcerting until then.

Not sure how that could be changed ... maybe a connection-time option
trial_connection that would suppress the fatal ereport on rejecting
the connection?

Regards,
-Chap