Re: equivalent of mysql's SET type? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: equivalent of mysql's SET type?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 8, 2011, at 5:06 PM, Reece Hart wrote:

> I'm considering porting a MySQL database to PostgreSQL. That database uses MySQL's SET type. Does anyone have advice
aboutrepresenting this type in PostgreSQL?

> MySQL DDL excerpt:
> CREATE TABLE `transcript_variation` (
>   `transcript_variation_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>   `transcript_stable_id` varchar(128) NOT NULL,
>   `consequence_type` set('ESSENTIAL_SPLICE_SITE','STOP_GAINED','STOP_LOST','COMPLEX_INDEL','SPLICE_SITE')
> ) ENGINE=MyISAM AUTO_INCREMENT=174923212 DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;
>

> I'm considering implementing this as a new type based on a bit vector, but I wonder if anyone has a more flexible
generalsolution.

tsvector or intarray might be other options, depending on how you're going to query it and whether those are really
stringsor more enum-ish.

The more SQLy way of doing it would be to have that stored in a separate table, with a foreign key to this one.

Cheers,
  Steve