MD5 Authentication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raimon Fernandez
Subject MD5 Authentication
Date
Re: MD5 Authentication  (Rafael Martinez <r.m.guerrero@usit.uio.no>)
List pgsql-general
Hello again ...

I'm trying to Authenticate to some PostgreSQL using MD5.

I can get the salt, for example:

A7 2E DB 2F

Docs: AuthenticationMD5Password (B)
- Byte1(’R’) Identifies the message as an authentication request.
- Int32(12) Length of message contents in bytes, including self.
- Int32(5) Specifies that an MD5-encrypted password is required.
- Byte4 The salt to use when encrypting the password.

I'm not sure if I have to use 4 bytes (A7 2E DB 2F) or only the fourth
byte (2F)

And, where I have to add the salt, before the password or after the
password ?

Despite I've been trying all possibilities, but postgresql answers
with a FATAL error ...

:-)

I'm sure my MD5 rutines are working OK as they give me the same
results as other tools.

Maybe my problem is in sending the correct values, but once I'm sure
how the format is, I'll be sure where to lookfor ...

thanks again,

regards,

raimon