Re: PostgreSQL vs SQL/XML Standards - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: PostgreSQL vs SQL/XML Standards
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01/20/19 20:07, Chapman Flack wrote:

> So it appears that this example does not depend on any special treatment
> of the default_expression.
>
> Is there an example that can be constructed that would depend on the
> special treatment (in which case, the PL/Java implementation would be
> unable to produce the same result)?

I see that I briefly forgot one difference that does matter, namely the
timing of a call to a volatile function like nextval. That detail certainly
needs to remain in the docs.

I am left wondering if that might be the only effect of the deferred
argument evaluation that really does matter.

Regards,
-Chap