Re: VACUUM FULL takes long time to complete - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Eric B. Ridge
Subject Re: VACUUM FULL takes long time to complete
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 31, 2007, at 5:15 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> Firstly, with autovacuum you really don't need to be running VACUUM
> FULL anyway. VACUUM FULL is actually quite inefficient, you're better
> off having higher FSM settings and leaving it to autovacuum.

Thank you (and Bill Moran) for the response.  The reason we run
VACUUM FULL daily, I think, is just a hangover from the times when
Postgres didn't have autovacuum in core.  And I think using FULL in
particular was from a desire to keep the database as trim as possible.

We'll flip our automated process off and see how things go.  Maybe
implement a monthly CLUSTER and/or REINDEX on the largest tables to
help keep their sizes in check.

Thanks again!

eric