Re: problem with psql? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: problem with psql?
Date
List pgsql-general
[Reordering top-posted reply]

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2005 at 01:24:37PM -0600, Timothy Perrigo wrote:
>> We just ran an OS update on an Xserve which runs our PostgreSQL
>> server, and now it seems that pg_ctl status doesn't report the
>> correct status.

<snip />

On Nov 29, 2005, at 8:56 , Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> I've heard from others that OS X's remote desktop equivalent uses an
> internal PosgreSQL database in an embedded install that uses the
> default
> PostgreSQL port. That could be the cause of your trouble...

Conflicts with the ARD-installed server has been an issue for me on
and off in the past, though I haven't been able to connect to the
server using psql without specifying the ard database, user, and
password. Also, I believe only the ARD server has the embedded
PostgreSQL server (and an old one at that). Do you actually have the
ARD server software installed on the Xserve? (My guess is you may be
using the client software that is installed with the OS.)

Also, could you check who owns those processes? The ARD-installed
server will probably be owned by someone (such as daemon, though I
don't recall off the top of my head) other than your normal postgres
server.

If you find it *is* a problem with ARD (which I am inclined to
doubt), you can alter the port used by the ARD-installed PostgreSQL
server by changing the port it uses in

/var/db/RemoteManagement/RMDB/rmdb.data/postgresql.conf

Hope this helps.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com