Re: PL/Java 1.5.1_BETA2 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-yum

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: PL/Java 1.5.1_BETA2
Date
List pgsql-pkg-yum
On 10/18/18 06:50, Devrim Gündüz wrote:

> Hi Chapman,
>
> On Wed, 2018-10-17 at 01:49 -0400, Chapman Flack wrote:
>> There is a PL/Java 1.5.1 release at github, supporting PG 11 back to PG 8.2:
>
> Thanks! Will push the packages in a few hours.

Thanks!

I looked in one of the rpms, and I noticed a few things:

1. It doesn't install these files in share/.../pljava:

   pljava--1.5.0--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.0-BETA1--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.0-BETA2--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.0-BETA3--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.1-BETA1--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.1-BETA2--1.5.1.sql
   pljava--1.5.1-BETA3--1.5.1.sql

The build procedure probably tricked you there, because those files
don't really exist in the build directory. They are all identical,
simply copies of a prototype file pljava--.sql (which does not need
to be installed under that name at all), and they just get inserted
synthetically into the installer jar as it is built. You are
bypassing the installer jar, so they just need to be made somehow.
You could make copies or links at build time, or even just include one
of them and make the remaining copies/links on the target system
in a post-install script.

But they have to be there, or ALTER EXTENSION pljava UPDATE won't work.

2. If -Dso.debug=true is added to the mvn command line, there will be
   debug symbols in libpljava-...so to allow for making a debuginfo
   rpm.

3. I notice this rpm does not include the pljava-examples...jar. Can
   there be a separate examples rpm then (or could the jar just be
   included in the main rpm)?

   A lot of the older examples are trivial things or tests, but there's
   a new one in this release that's nontrivial and useful (provides
   real SQL:2006+ XML Query support, which core PG still doesn't have).
   Some people might actually have reasons to want to install that one.

   It is not built unless -Psaxon-examples is on the mvn command line.
   It is optional because it must be left out when building for PG 8.3
   or 8.2. But it is usable in any of the current supported releases.

Thanks!
-Chap