Re: How should the correct value of shmmax be calculated for DWH(OLAP) server - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth
Subject Re: How should the correct value of shmmax be calculated for DWH(OLAP) server
Date
List pgsql-admin
Am 15.10.2018 um 09:43 schrieb Laurenz Albe:
> Shukla, Sumeet wrote:
>> Can someone please help me determine the appropriate value of kernel shmmax
>> parameter for PostgreSQL configured for Data Warehouse use?
>
> Simple. Set it to anything bigger than your "shared_buffers" setting.
> If PostgreSQL manages to start, your setting is big enough.

As a matter of fact, you shouldn't need to set SHMMAX anyway, unless you
tampered with "dynamic_shared_memory_type" or you are on a very exotic
OS ;-)

Best regards,
--
Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
RHCE/SCLA

Mobil +49 172 8853339
Email: gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de
In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX.
Ten years later they are choosing Windows over UNIX.
What part of that message aren't you getting? - Tom Payne

Attachment