Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending)patents?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/25/18 01:56, Nico Williams wrote:

> Wrong.  With patents the important thing is not to know about them when
> you implement -- if you come up with the same idea by accident (which,
> of course, is obviously entirely possible) then you are not subject to
> trebble damages.

Even if the damages are not trebled, can 1✕ the damages be more than you
would like to shell out? Not to mention the hassle of getting any infringing
uses to cease?

Also, is this distinction universally applied across jurisdictions?

-Chap