Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Zenz
Subject Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions
Date
Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 29.01.2018 14:36, David G. Johnston wrote:
> ​Those questions would not be answered in user-facing documentation.  You
> can explore the git history and search the far-back mailing list archives if
> you wish to satisfy your curiosity. For me this is how it works - the only
> question for me is whether I should argue that the behavior should be
> changed. I do vaguely recall this topic coming up in the recent (couple of
> years) past...but changing transaction behavior like this is problematic no
> matter how desirable the new state might be to have (and that's debatable).

From my point of view, no, it shouldn't be changed. It has always been this way
and I find nothing wrong with the approach, it is only something that you need
to be aware of, that's all.

> It may be worth updating the docs here...

I'd vote for that. I would have expected to see this mentioned in the
documentation a little bit more prominent than just a single sentence at the end
of the transaction tutorial. A short section about how the transaction behaves
in an error cases (and what to do) would be nice.

> ...but you have received your official answer - I'm nearly positive I'm right
> and even if I was mistaken most likely I would have been corrected by now. I
> am writing this on a mailing list...
>
> David J.

Thank you for your time and explanations.