Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Zenz
Subject Re: Information on savepoint requirement within transctions
Date
List pgsql-general
Well, no. What I'm looking for is information on how the transactions behave in
an error case, and why there is the requirement to have a savepoint in place to
be able to continue a transaction after a failed statement.

As far as I'm aware neither PostgreSQL nor OS version do matter for this, I'm
interested in the general behavior of the database. But as I said, I do find a
lot of documentation on transactions in general, but not about their behavior in
an error case.

Your first link is "kinda" what I'm looking for, because it closes with

 > Moreover, ROLLBACK TO is the only way to regain control of a transaction
block that was put in aborted state by the system due to an error, short of
rolling it back completely and starting again.

and I'm looking on more information on *that*.