Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01/15/18 16:32, David Fetter wrote:

>> So, it's a thing that can happen.
>
> Of course it is. It's just not a thing I believe we should perturb
> our code or documentation to accommodate.

So ISTM that the best way to have code/documentation that (a) isn't
perturbed, and (b) doesn't tell people things that might be wrong,
would be (at least for this patch) to focus the help text on things
PostgreSQL controls (you're in a quoted string, here's how to end it;
you're in a multiline command, here's how to finish or reset it, etc.).

*Maybe* it could speak vaguely about your end-of-file keystroke,
or interrupt keystroke (there could well be a better way to say that),
which would be good enough now for people who know what those are,
and *maybe* that could be seen as opening the door to a future patch
if someone wanted to code up OS-specific checks and add "(which seems
to be ^D)", "(which seems to be ^Z)", etc. That would perturb the code
a bit, but the decision whether that patch would be worthwhile could
be deferred until there was someone interested in working on it.

-Chap