Re: FW: Setting up streaming replication problems - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martin Goodson
Subject Re: FW: Setting up streaming replication problems
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28/01/2018 22:24, Thiemo Kellner wrote:
> Me again. Hope you wont feel to bothered by me. I just summarise so
> far and am still in dire need of guidance.

> I am not sure whether to put the md5 value of the repuser password
> into primary_conninfo or the plain one. I don't feel the
> documentation or the book is clear on that. I thought to have tried
> both ways to no avail.

The documentation seems pretty clear on the subject, if you look at the
standby server settings documentation and look at primary_conninfo it says:

"A password needs to be provided too, if the primary demands password
authentication. It can be provided in the primary_conninfo string, or in
a separate ~/.pgpass file on the standby server (use replication as the
database name)"

That's not an md5 version of the password, that's the actual clear text
password. That's why putting the password into the password file instead
of the recovery file (or specifying trust if you actually do) might not
be such a bad idea, really.

But are you sure the password is the issue? What messages are you seeing
in your logs on both the master and the standby? Could you post the logs
here, or at least a representative sample? What are you seeing in the
standby logs when you start it? What are you seeing in the master's logs
at the same time?

M.

--
Martin Goodson

"Have you thought up some clever plan, Doctor?"
"Yes, Jamie, I believe I have."
"What're you going to do?"
"Bung a rock at it."