Re: Impact of checkpoint_segments under continual load conditions - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Petrilli
Subject Re: Impact of checkpoint_segments under continual load conditions
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 7/19/05, PFC <lists@boutiquenumerique.com> wrote:

> > I think PFC's question was not directed towards modeling your
> > application, but about helping us understand what is going wrong
> > (so we can fix  it).
>
>         Exactly, I was wondering if this delay would allow things to get flushed,
> for instance, which would give information about the problem (if giving it
> a few minutes of rest resumed normal operation, it would mean that some
> buffer somewhere is getting filled faster than it can be flushed).
>
>         So, go ahead with a few minutes even if it's unrealistic, that is not the
> point, you have to tweak it in various possible manners to understand the
> causes.

Totally understand, and appologize if I sounded dismissive.  I
definately appreciate the insight and input.

>         And instead of a pause, why not just set the duration of your test to
> 6000 iterations and run it two times without dropping the test table ?

This I can do.   I'll probably set it for 5,000 for the first, and
then start the second.  In non-benchmark experience, however, this
didn't seem to make much difference.

>         I'm going into wild guesses, but first you should want to know if the
> problem is because the table is big, or if it's something else. So you run
> the complete test, stopping a bit after it starts to make a mess, then
> instead of dumping the table and restarting the test anew, you leave it as
> it is, do something, then run a new test, but on this table which already
> has data.
>
>         'something' could be one of those :
>         disconnect, reconnect (well you'll have to do that if you run the test
> twice anyway)
>         just wait
>         restart postgres
>         unmount and remount the volume with the logs/data on it
>         reboot the machine
>         analyze
>         vacuum
>         vacuum analyze
>         cluster
>         vacuum full
>         reindex
>         defrag your files on disk (stopping postgres and copying the database
>  from your disk to anotherone and back will do)
>         or even dump'n'reload the whole database
>
>         I think useful information can be extracted that way. If one of these
> fixes your problem it'l give hints.

This could take a while :-)

Chris