CIDR data type query help - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scot Kreienkamp
Subject CIDR data type query help
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi everyone,

I have a column of type CIDR in a table that I am querying that contains
the values of 10/8, 10.1/16,10.1.28/24, and 10.1.28.95.  I am trying to
return only the one record that's most specific compared to the IP
address I'm currently on as this is being done in a CGI script.  If
there's no specific match for the IP of the originating workstation then
it should return the /24 if it's there, then the /16 if it's there, etc.
I have never worked with the CIDR type, and a novice when it comes to
SQL query language, so I have no idea how to approach this.

Thanks for any help.

Scot Kreienkamp
skreien@la-z-boy.com