PostgreSQL, UTF-8 and Mac OS X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guido Neitzer
Subject PostgreSQL, UTF-8 and Mac OS X
Date
Re: PostgreSQL, UTF-8 and Mac OS X  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Hi.

I have a problem with PostgreSQL and UTF-8 on my Mac OS X Powerbook.

- System is Mac OS X Client 10.4.3, PostgreSQL 8.1beta3

- initdb was called with -E UTF-8 --locale=de_DE.UTF-8

I have successfully build a LC_COLLATE file for ISO8859-15, and
ordering works there if I do the initdb with ISO8859-1 but I want to
use UTF-8 for some reasons.

I have linked the LC_COLLATE for de_DE.UTF-8 to the same LC_COLLATE
file that works fine with ISO8859-1.

"show all;" shows that the encoding ist UTF-8 now, the LC_... are
"de_DE.UTF-8". Okay, this is fine.

But it doesn't work. The LC_COLLATE file works, if I set encoding and
locale to ISO... but not, if I set the values to be UTF-8 (don't know
how often I have called initdb in the last days ...).

It seems to me, that the locale "de_DE.UTF-8" just isn't working at
all (at least for ordering results) in the combination PG -- Mac OS X.

Some hints what I can try to find out more?

cug

Attachment