Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Hawkes
Subject Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows
Date
Re: Using Postgres as a "embedded" / SQL Lite database on Windows  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Everyone I have a question re using postgres as a "embedded" database on Windows.

First a little background:
I have been using Postgres for a number of years on Linux, and it is great.
I am now working with a company which develops Windows software using Delphi. This has been successful and they have a number of users (1000's). This currently uses a Paradox database. For various reasons (some I am sure you can guess!) we would like to move away from paradox, and Postgres is a good option.

The main problem(s) I see with Postgres in this environment related to:
 - The fact that the users are very non computer savy - these are general office workers or Farmers - most will have little interest in the computer beyond getting a job done.
 - Installation (Yes there is a silent install)
 - running as a service
      What happens in the unlikely event that they already have a version of Postgres installed?
 - I guess I can see that we could create a installation which works for most users, but end up spending a lot of time getting the last few computers updated, as we deal with some obscure problem between windows and services and Postgres (I know welcome to Windows), and we would like to be able to manage these updates remotely

I would like to hear feed back from others, has anyone else deployed Postgres in this type of environment?
Are there options for running postgres, maybe as a process (maybe the wrong term) within the main application - this could be started and stopped by the application?

I am thinking some type of options similar to SQLLite would be great for a single user install - but we also want to be able to A) use the full power of Postgres, B) set-up as a full server in some other cases.

I look forward to hearing your views
Thanks
Craig