Re: Logical replication and wal segment retention - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Achilleas Mantzios
Subject Re: Logical replication and wal segment retention
Date
Re: Logical replication and wal segment retention  (Johannes Truschnigg <johannes@truschnigg.info>)
List pgsql-admin
On 27/2/19 2:52 μ.μ., Johannes Truschnigg wrote:
> Hi Jay,
>
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 07:40:26AM -0500, John Scalia wrote:
>> Hello, folks,
>>
>> Yesterday, I had a small file system fill up, due to some logical
>> replication testing we had been performing. We had been testing IBM’s IIDR
>> system and apparently it had built a logical replication slot on my server.
>> When the test was completed, nobody removed the slot, so WAL segments
>> stopped being dropped. Now I can understand the difficulty separating what
>> physical versus logical replication needs from the WAL segments, but as
>> logical replication is database specific not cluster wide, this behavior was
>> a little unexpected, since the WAL segments are cluster wide. Are WAL
>> segments going to pile up whenever something drops a logical replication
>> connection? I’ve seen it, but it seems like this could be a bad thing.
> Since Logical Replication is piggybacked on Physical Replication, you cannot
> use the first without having the latter. And yes, what you experienced is one
> of the dangers of using replication slots when having a busy database (i.e.
> producing lots of WAL) and a filesystem with little excess space. Under these
> circumstances, it is imperative to monitor for (and alert on) anything going
> awry with your replication slot consumers, and/or the size of your wal/xlog
> directory. It's a feature of replication slots to work that way - but one that
> may end up biting you.
A logical approach for replication slots would be to accept a parameter regarding max WAL files to retain, after which
newerWALs will be removed and the primary server saved.  Pretty much like :

--archive-push-queue-max argument of pgbackrest .

--
Achilleas Mantzios
IT DEV Lead