Re: postgres large database backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Hannes Erven
Subject Re: postgres large database backup
Date
Re: postgres large database backup  (hvjunk <hvjunk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Am 30.11.22 um 20:01 schrieb Mladen Gogala:
> On 11/30/22 10:40, Atul Kumar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 10TB database running on postgres 11 version running on
>> centos 7 "on premises", I need to schedule the backup of this
>> database in a faster way.
>>
>> The scheduled backup will be used for PITR purposes.
>>
> Well, that depends on your configuration details. Is your DB located
> on a SAN device or JBOD?

You could also use a filesystem that can do atomic snapshots - like ZFS.

However, I'm wondering why none of the previous respondents mentioned
it? Sure, ZFS may have its own performance implications... but my
experience is that it makes "safety snapshots" and "on-demand throw-away
testing environments" very convenient to use.

Best regards,

     -hannes