Re: pgsql: Close stdin where it's not needed in TestLib.pm procedures - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Close stdin where it's not needed in TestLib.pm procedures
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 11/26/19 3:47 AM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 02:13:50AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Perhaps the "where possible" caveat needs to include a test whether
>> IO::Pty is installed?  It's evidently not there by default everywhere.
>>
>> It's possible that we should just move the goalposts and say IO::Pty
>> is required for TAP testing.  I can foresee that we'll have to do
>> that if we ever want automated tests of psql's tab completion,
>> for example.
> Hmm.  I am not sure that we are at that point yet (in which case we'd
> need to check after it in configure).  Any other modules we require to
> be installed are directly imported to our code, but here we visibly
> have a dependency forced by the loaded code.  My point is that it does
> not impact platforms that do not need it, so it seems like a waste to
> require for everybody something which is actually necessary only for a
> portion of users running the TAP tests.

Yeah, I don't want to go that far at this stage at least.

here's my proposed fix.

I will adjust the code that wants to use it to have a block containing
the tests that need the pty code something like this:

SKIP:
{
  skip 3, "no Pty support" unless $have_io_pty;
}

cheers

andrew

Attachment