Re: timestamp problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: timestamp problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
[Please don't top post as it makes the discussion more difficult to
follow.]

On Oct 31, 2007, at 12:40 , Wright, George wrote:

> In the Bruce Momjian PostGreSQL Introduction and Concepts book:

Yeah, that's getting pretty long in the tooth. (And by the way, it's
PostgreSQL. No cap G)

> In the temporal section it mentions
>
> Function            Returns
> isfinite(col)        BOOLEAN indicating whether col is a valid date.

I'd argue that this has always been wrong, but my PostgreSQL
knowledge doesn't extend quite that far back.

> Is there a calendar validation routine in PostGreSQL? I didn't see one
> in the \df listing.

Depends on what you mean by calendar validation. For the specific
case you've been interested in, I doubt it, though you could probably
cobble one together using a procedural language. Maybe PL/perlu and
some Perl libraries would help you out.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net