Re: BUG #5611: SQL Function STABLE promoting to VOLATILE - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #5611: SQL Function STABLE promoting to VOLATILE
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Brian Ceccarelli <bceccarelli@net32.com> writes:
>      STABLE no longer means STABLE.  This behavior is killing my performance.  I am getting 500% to 30000% increase
inlatency.

You seem to be under the illusion that "stable" is a control knob for a
function result cache.  It is not, and never has been.  Postgres doesn't
do function result caching.

If you've constructed your app in such a way that it depends on not
inlining SQL set-returning functions, it's fairly easy to defeat that.
From memory, marking a SRF as either strict or volatile will do it
(although volatile might cause you problems elsewhere --- I suspect
your design is pretty brittle in this area).

            regards, tom lane