Re: strange pauses - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Decibel!
Subject Re: strange pauses
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Jan 21, 2008, at 1:58 AM, Adrian Moisey wrote:
>> Perhaps, if you want to avoid I/O caused by temp tables (but it's
>> not at
>> checkpoint time, so perhaps this has nothing to do with your
>> problem),
>> you could try raising temp_buffers.
>
> How can I find out if temp_buffers is being exceeded ?

You could monitor the pgsql_tmp directory under the appropriate
database directory ($PGDATA/base/oid_number_of_the_database). You
could also see how many pages temporary objects in that connection
are using; you'd have to find the temp schema that your session is
using (\dn pg_temp* from psql), and then

SELECT sum(relpages) FROM pg_class c JOIN pg_namespace n ON
(c.relnamespace=n.oid) AND n.nspname='pg_temp_blah';
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Attachment