Re: Endgame for all those SELECT FOR UPDATE changes: fix plan node order - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Endgame for all those SELECT FOR UPDATE changes: fix plan node order
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Right, the case would be something like
>>
>>        select * from
>>          (select * from foo order by x limit n) ss
>>        for update of ss;

> That's a pretty odd construction.

Dunno why you think that.  That's exactly what one would write if one
wanted certain operations to execute in a different order than they're
defined to execute in within a single query level.  We have not
previously been very clear about the order of operations for FOR UPDATE
locking relative to other steps, but now we will be.