Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Prevent "snapshot too old" from trying to return pruned TOAST tu - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Prevent "snapshot too old" from trying to return pruned TOAST tu
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 10:58 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the reason?  We refuse to separate frontend and backend
>> headers in any sort of principled way?

> That was poorly phrased.  I'll try again: I can't see any reason for
> using a macro here except that it allows frontend code to compile this
> without breaking.

Well, the alternative would be to put "#ifndef FRONTEND" around the
static-inline function.  That's not very pretty either, and it's
inconsistent with the existing precedent (ie, InitDirtySnapshot).
Also, it presumes that a non-backend includer actually has defined
FRONTEND; that seems to be the case for pg_xlogdump but I do not
think we do that everywhere.

> Here's a patch.  Is this what you want?

OK by me.