Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner
Date
Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Re: run pgindent on a regular basis / scripted manner  (Jelte Fennema <postgres@jeltef.nl>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 2023-04-22 Sa 04:50, Michael Paquier wrote:
On Fri, Apr 21, 2023 at 09:58:17AM +0200, Jelte Fennema wrote:
For 2 the upstream thread listed two approaches:
a. Install a pre-receive git hook on the git server that rejects
pushes to master that are not indented
b. Add a test suite that checks if the code is correctly indented, so
the build farm would complain about it. (Suggested by Peter E)

I think both a and b would work to achieve 2. But as Peter E said, b
indeed sounds like less of a divergence of the status quo. So my vote
would be for b.
FWIW, I think that there is value for both of them.  Anyway, isn't 'a'
exactly the same as 'b' in design?  Both require a build of
pg_bsd_indent, meaning that 'a' would also need to run an equivalent
of the regression test suite, but it would be actually costly
especially if pg_bsd_indent itself is patched.  I think that getting
more noisy on this matter with 'b' would be enough, but as an extra
PG_TEST_EXTRA for committers to set.

Such a test suite would need a dependency to the 'git' command itself,
which is not something that could be safely run in a release tarball,
in any case.

Perhaps we should start with a buildfarm module, which would run pg_indent --show-diff. That would only need to run on one animal, so a failure wouldn't send the whole buildfarm red. This would be pretty easy to do.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan