Re: [HACKERS] Performance testing of COPY (SELECT) TO - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Performance testing of COPY (SELECT) TO
Date
List pgsql-patches
> My question is, if we allow this:
> copy (select * from view) to stdout;
> (or to a file, whatever), is it enough for you?  Or would you insist on
> also having
> copy view to stdout;
> ?

> We can, and the posted patch does, support the first form, but not the
> second.  In fact I deliberately removed support for the second form for
> Zolt�n's patch because it uglifies the surrounding code.

Personally, I have no moral objection to supporting the second form
as a special case of the general COPY-from-select feature, but if it
can't be done without uglifying the code then I'd agree with dropping
it.  I guess the question is whether the uglification is intrinsic or
just a result of being descended from a poor original implementation.

The feature-freeze argument seems not relevant, given that the code
we had on the feature-freeze date did both things.

Has this patch settled to the point where I can review it, or is it
still in motion?

            regards, tom lane