Re: Cursors with Large, Ordered Result Sets - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rminnett@rsmas.miami.edu (Rupert)
Subject Re: Cursors with Large, Ordered Result Sets
Date
List pgsql-general
Thanks for the quick reply and sorry for the slow response.

Yes, this is very similar to what we are currently doing and it seems
to be working rather well - much to my surprise. However, I still have
the same questions regarding the actual steps being taken by the DBMS
to order a massive result set. Doesn't it need to have the entire
result in memory before it can return the first records? If so, and
the result is larger than the RAM, does it dump it to disk and then
sort?

The reason I am so curios is simply because this is running on a
mission-critical machine and I need to know what resources
(particularly disk space) will be consumed.

Thanks for your help,

Rupert