Re: New version numbering practices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: New version numbering practices
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 08/01/2016 11:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Also, it strikes me that we need a new convention for how we talk about
> release branches informally.  Up to now, mentioning say "9.5" without
> any further qualification in a PG-list message was usually sufficient
> to indicate a branch number, but I do not think that will work so well
> if one just writes "10".  I'm tempted to start writing branch numbers
> as something like "PG10" or "v10".  Thoughts?

Somewhat related is how we name the git branches. It would help me from
a buildfarm POV if we kept lexically them sortable, which could be done
at least for the next 90 major releases :-) by adding an underscore
after the REL piece, thus: REL_10_STABLE. I realise that's a way off,
but it's worth bringing up while we're discussing the topic.

cheers

andrew