Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [Lsf-pc] Linux kernel impact on PostgreSQL performance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:12:38AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> What we'd really like for checkpointing is to hand the kernel a boatload
>> (several GB) of dirty pages and say "how about you push all this to disk
>> over the next few minutes, in whatever way seems optimal given the storage
>> hardware and system situation.  Let us know when you're done."

> The issue there is that the kernel has other triggers for needing to
> clean data. We have no infrastructure to handle variable writeback
> deadlines at the moment, nor do we have any infrastructure to do
> roughly metered writeback of such files to disk. I think we could
> add it to the infrastructure without too much perturbation of the
> code, but as you've pointed out that still leaves the fact there's
> no obvious interface to configure such behaviour. Would it need to
> be persistent?

No, we'd be happy to re-request it during each checkpoint cycle, as
long as that wasn't an unduly expensive call to make.  I'm not quite
sure where such requests ought to "live" though.  One idea is to tie
them to file descriptors; but the data to be written might be spread
across more files than we really want to keep open at one time.
But the only other idea that comes to mind is some kind of global sysctl,
which would probably have security and permissions issues.  (One thing
that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread, but maybe is worth pointing
out now, is that Postgres does not run as root, and definitely doesn't
want to.  So we don't want a knob that would require root permissions
to twiddle.)  We could probably live with serially checkpointing data
in sets of however-many-files-we-can-have-open, if file descriptors are
the place to keep the requests.