Postgres 7.3 migrate to 8.0 date problems. - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Thomas Seeber
Subject Postgres 7.3 migrate to 8.0 date problems.
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi,

We were upgrading from postgres 7.3 -> 8.0 and having a little
problems importing dates from some of our data sources.  Say we have a
date like '2004-17-05'.  In postgres 7.3, postgres would intrept this
as Year Day Month automatically.  In the documentation, from postgres
7.4 on this has to be specified in the Datestyle option and YDM is not
an option.  Other data we have is coming in on the YMD formate which
would be more expected.  I realize that this change is better for data
integrity, however we have alot of legacy systems where being able to
mimic the 7.3 behaviour would be desireable.  Any ideas?

-Tom Seeber
Edison Schools