Re: Vacuum Error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuum Error
Date
List pgsql-general
"scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> writes:
>> Dave Smith <dave.smith@candata.com> writes:
>>> I am running 7.2 and when doing a vacuum I am getting the following
>>> error....
>>
>>> ERROR:  Cannot insert a duplicate key into unique index
>>> pg_statistic_relid_att_index

> Didn't this happen with parallel vacuum / analyzes running in the olden
> days?

I don't think it could happen in 7.2, because that release took
ExclusiveLock on pg_statistic while inserting rows.

Later releases use a weaker lock (to permit concurrent ANALYZE of
different tables) and are subject to "concurrent update" errors if
you try to run two ANALYZEs of the same table at the same time.
But it doesn't sound like Dave is doing that, anyway.

            regards, tom lane