Re: Proposal to add a QNX 6.5 port to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal to add a QNX 6.5 port to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Baker, Keith [OCDUS Non-J&J]" <KBaker9@its.jnj.com> writes:
> Since ensuring there are not orphaned back-end processes is vital, could we add a check for getppid() == 1 ?

No.  Or yeah, we could, but that patch would add no security worth
mentioning.  For example, someone could launch a query that runs for
many minutes, and would have plenty of time to conflict with a
subsequently-started postmaster.

Even without that issue, there's no consensus that forcibly making
orphan backends exit would be a good thing.  (Some people would
like to have such an option, but the key word in that sentence is
"option".)