Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Petr Jelinek
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27/08/16 18:50, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> writes:
>> OK, so let's focus only on the renaming mentioned in $subject. So far
>> as I can see on this thread, here are the opinions of people who
>> clearly gave one:
>> - Rename them, hard break is OK: Michael P, Bruce, Stephen (depends on
>> David's input),  Magnus
>> - Rename them, hard break not OK: Fujii-san (perhaps do nothing?)
>> - Do nothing: Simon (add a README), Tom, Peter E
>
> I'm against moving/renaming the
> configuration files, because I think that will break a lot of users'
> scripts and habits without really buying much.

I don't agree with this part, mainly because there is significant number
of installations (everything that uses debian/ubuntu scripts) that
already don't have configuration files inside the data directory.

On the other matters:
+1 for renaming pg_xlog to pg_wal and pg_clog to pg_xact/trans (don't
care really which one)

And +1 for renaming pg_logical to something more reasonable.

--   Petr Jelinek                  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/  PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &
Services