Re: parens cleanup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: parens cleanup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Some ereport calls have excess sets of parentheses.  patch 0001 removes
> the ones I found in a very quick grep.

+1 ... kind of looks like somebody got this wrong long ago, and then
various people copied-and-pasted from a bad example.

> 0002 removes newlines immediately following parens.  These were
> previously useful because pgindent would move arguments further to the
> left so that the line would fit under 80 chars.  However, pgindent no
> longer does that, so the newlines are pointless and ugly.

+1 except for the changes in zic.c.  Those line breaks are following
the upstream code, so I'd just put them back in the next merge ...

> These being cosmetic cleanups, they're not intended for backpatch,
> though an argument could be made that doing that would save some future
> backpatching pain.  If ther are sufficient votes for that, I'm open to
> doing it.  (Of course, 0002 would not be backpatched further back than
> pg10, the first release that uses the "new" pgindent rules.)

Meh, -0.1 or so on back-patching.