Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Lets (not) break all the things. Was: [pgsql-advocacy] 9.6 -> 10.0
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/13/2016 09:40 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 09:35:40AM -0700, Joshua Drake wrote:
>>>
>>> Uh, we are already doing that.  EDB and NTT are working on FDWs and
>>> sharding, PostgresPro and someone else is working on a transaction
>>> manager, and EDB and 2nd Quadrant worked on parallelism.
>>>
>>> What is the problem you are trying to solve?
>>
>> Hey, if I am wrong that's awesome. The impression I have is the general
>> workflow is this:
>>
>>     * Company(1) discusses feature with community
>>     * Company(1) works on patch/feature for a period of time
>>     * Company(1) delivers patch to community
>>     * Standard operation continues (patch review, discussion, etc..)
>
> Yes, there are some cases of that.  I assume it is due to efficiency and
> the belief that others aren't interested in helping.  In a way is a
> company working on something alone different from a person working on a
> patch alone?

No but I also think we should discourage that when reasonable as well.
Obviously some patches just don't need more than one person but when we
are talking about anything that is taking X time (month or more?) then
we should actively encourage collaboration.

That is all I am really talking about here. A more assertive
collaboration for the betterment of the community. When I think about
the size of the brain trust we have as a whole, I imagine the great
things we could do even better. It isn't magical or overnight but a long
term goal.

Sincerely,

JD

--